Phase 2 Year 5 dredging operations began on May 7, 2015. Monitoring was conducted daily for river operations during the dredging season. For Phase 2 navigation monitoring information, click on the calendar below. Navigation monitoring information can also be viewed on the Quality of Life Monitoring Interactive Map. Phase 1 data is available by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page.
Calendar (Please click on data for more information)
Goal of the Standard
The goal of the navigation performance standard is to avoid unnecessary interference with or the slowdown of vessels unrelated to the cleanup that are within the project area.
What is the Standard and How Does it Work?
The performance standard for navigation requires compliance with the applicable sections of federal and state navigation laws, rules and regulations. It also calls for the following requirements, as needed, to meet the goal of the standard:
- Evaluating vessel movement
- Restricting access to work areas and providing safe access around them
- Keeping mariners informed about scheduled project work that might affect vessel movement
- Establishing temporary aids to navigation such as signs and buoys to maintain safe and efficient vessel movement, and
- Scheduling project activities to consider vessel movement
In addition, there is monitoring of vessel traffic, follow up on complaints, and outreach to mariners on a regular basis. EPA developed the navigation performance standard in consultation with the New York State Canal Corporation (NYSCC) and other appropriate agencies.